The Peculiar Case of GMC vs Pandian: Is an Apology admissible as an Admission of Guilt?
- Admission of Guilt,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Indranil Chakravorty
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This editorial reviews the recent judgement by the MPTS of Dr Pandian's apology for distress caused as an admission of guilt in a peculiar scenario where contemporaneous notes made of an examination by Dr Pandian were discounted in favour of a recall by a patient of the event- of whether a physical examination had occurred. The punitive sanction by the MPTS appears to have gone against the regulator's guidance to professionals following the Duty of Candour regulation of 2014, amending the Health & Social Care Act 2008.
The editorial reviews the construct of honesty, the prevalence of dishonesty in the profession and whether recall bias may have influenced the scenario. The background of institutional racism against minority communities believed by many in the profession to exist in the health service and the actions of the regulator are also considered in this case.
- The Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2014/9780111117613/contents (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Openness and honesty when things go wrong: The professional duty of candour. https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/candour---openness-and-honesty-when-things-go-wrong (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Fred HL. Dishonesty in Medicine Revisited. Tex Heart Inst J 2008;35:6–15.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2322888/ (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Kusnoor AV, Falik R. Cheating in medical school: the unacknowledged ailment. South Med J 2013;106:479–83. doi:10.1097/SMJ.0b013e3182a14388
- Sierles F, Hendrickx I, Circle S. Cheating in medical school. Academic Medicine 1980;55:124.https://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Abstract/1980/02000/Cheating_in_medical_school.6.aspx (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Papadakis MA, Teherani A, Banach MA, et al. Disciplinary action by medical boards and prior behavior in medical school. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2673–82. doi:10.1056/NEJMsa052596
- Wachter RM. Personal accountability in healthcare: searching for the right balance. BMJ Qual Saf 2013;22:176–80. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001227
- Aveling E-L, Parker M, Dixon-Woods M. What is the role of individual accountability in patient safety? A multi-site ethnographic study. Sociol Health Illn 2016;38:216–32. doi:10.1111/1467-9566.12370
- Bond CF, DePaulo BM. Accuracy of deception judgments. Pers Soc Psychol Rev 2006;10:214–34. doi:10.1207/s15327957pspr1003_2
- Hartwig M, Bond CF. Why do lie-catchers fail? A lens model meta-analysis of human lie judgments. Psychol Bull 2011;137:643–59. doi:10.1037/a0023589
- Iacobucci G. The BMJ Interview: Victor Adebowale on systemic racism in the NHS. BMJ 2020;371:m4111. doi:10.1136/bmj.m4111
- Robinson-Lane SG, Patel RV. The imperative to address institutional racism in nursing practice. Nurs Outlook 2022;70:691–3. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2022.06.001
- Lloyd EP, Hugenberg K, McConnell AR, et al. Black and White Lies: Race-Based Biases in Deception Judgments. Psychol Sci 2017;28:1125–36. doi:10.1177/0956797617705399
- julietwalker. Racism and the General Medical Council. The BMJ. 2021.https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/06/29/racism-and-the-general-medical-council/ (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Lind S. GMC data lays bare stark racial inequalities in medical training. Pulse Today. 2023.https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/regulation/gmc-data-lays-bare-stark-racial-inequalities-in-medical-training/ (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Althubaiti A. Information bias in health research: definition, pitfalls, and adjustment methods. J Multidiscip Healthc 2016;9:211–7. doi:10.2147/JMDH.S104807
- Berlin L. Medical errors, malpractice, and defensive medicine: an ill-fated triad. Diagnosis (Berl) 2017;4:133–9. doi:10.1515/dx-2017-0007
- http://disputeresolutionblog.practicallaw.com/author/practical-law-dispute-resolution. Sorry, not sorry… the case for an apology law in UK dispute resolution (Part 1). Dispute Resolution blog. 2021.http://disputeresolutionblog.practicallaw.com/sorry-not-sorry-the-case-for-an-apology-law-in-uk-dispute-resolution-part-1/ (accessed 4 Jun 2023).
- Bell SK, Delbanco T, Anderson-Shaw L, et al. Accountability for medical error: moving beyond blame to advocacy. Chest 2011;140:519–26. doi:10.1378/chest.10-2533