Does a Narrow Definition of Medical Professionalism lead to Systemic Bias and Differential Outcomes? : A Narrative Commentary
- differential attainment,
- Medical Professionalism,
- General Medical Council
How to Cite
The concept of medical professionalism is enshrined in the principles of Good Medical Practice (GMP), upheld by the General Medical Council (GMC), and is applicable to all doctors as well as undergraduate students in the United Kingdom. The principles were conceived, developed and implemented to ensure that the highest standards of medical practice are adhered to for the safety of the public and to retain trust in the medical profession. The GMC has a statutory duty to ensure that professional standards are maintained. Approximately 1% of doctors on the medical register are subject to investigation by the GMC, based on referrals made by employing organisations or the public.
While appropriate GMC investigation is essential to maintain standards, patient safety and public confidence, there are inherent inequalities in the process resulting in widely different outcomes for certain groups of students or doctors based on Black and minority ethnicity, male gender and non-UK primary medical qualification often leading to devastating consequences.
This narrative review considers the contributors to differential attainment (DA) and the impact on the health service, patients and individual wellbeing. It explores the tenets of a current narrow definition of professionalism which, while representing the unidimensional White majority view, ignores the huge diversity of the workforce and the public, thus exposing significant tensions for groups of professionals. The Covid-19 pandemic has exposed the inherent systemic bias in the health service for both professionals and the public. This review recommends root and branch reform of the definition of professionalism, by engagement with the public and the workforce, to incorporate principles of equality, diversity and inclusion, which the authors believe will create the environment for a just and equitable professional experience. 1
- NHS England » Action required to tackle health inequalities in latest phase of COVID-19 response and recovery https://www.england.nhs.uk/about/equality/equality-hub/action-required-to-tackle-health-inequalities-in-latest-phase-of-covid-19-response-and-recovery/
- Chakravorty, I., Daga, S., Chakravorty, S., Bamrah, J., & Mehta, R. (2020). Protocol for Thematic Synthesis of Differential Attainment in the Medical Profession - ‘Bridging the Gap’ Series: Alliance for Equality in Health Professions. Sushruta Journal of Health Policy & Opinion, 13(3). https://doi.org/10.38192/13.3.17
- Nunn, S. Understanding differential attainment across medical training pathways: A rapid review of the literature. 89. https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/gmc-understanding-differential-attainment_pdf-63533431.pdf
- Woolf, K., Potts, H. W. W. & McManus, I. C. Ethnicity and academic performance in UK trained doctors and medical students: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 342, d901 (2011). doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d901
- New data on gender pay gap in medicine. GOV.UK https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-data-on-gender-pay-gap-in-medicine.
- 1975 - Report of G.M.C. inquiry.pdf. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1675971/
- Good medical practice. https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/good-medical-practice.
- Dyer, C. Bristol inquiry: Bristol inquiry condemns hospital’s “club culture”. BMJ 323, 181 (2001). doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7306.181
- The Shipman Inquiry. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/273227/5854.pdf
- Our history. https://www.gmc-uk.org/about/who-we-are/our-history.
- Regulatory_Reform_Consultation_Document.pdf. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/655794/Regulatory_Reform_Consultation_Document.pdf
- Health Equity in England: The Marmot Review 10 Years On. The Health Foundation https://www.health.org.uk/publications/reports/the-marmot-review-10-years-on.
- Black Lives Matter. Wikipedia (2020). https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Black_Lives_Matter&oldid=971334380
- Chakravorty, I., Bamrah, J. S. & Mehta, R. A Rainbow Paper - Tackling inequalities, a neo-liberal order in a world after Corona. Sushruta J. Health Policy Opin. 13, (2020). https://doi.org/10.38192/13.3.14
- NHS Race and Health Observatory. http://www.nhsconfed.org/networks/nhs race and health observatory.
- Aims of the Observatory. http://www.nhsconfed.org/networks/nhs race and health observatory/aims of the observatory.
- Horsfall, S. Doctors who commit suicide while under GMC fitness to practise investigation. 83. https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/Internal_review_into_suicide_in_FTP_processes.pdf_59088696.pdf
- Walshe, K. & Offen, N. A very public failure: lessons for quality improvement in healthcare organisations from the Bristol Royal Infirmary. BMJ Qual. Saf. 10, 250–256 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1136/qhc.0100250
- An update on the GMC’s work to address the Francis Recommendations. 11. https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/gmc-update-on-francis-recommendations---final_pdf-53738187.pdf
- Ham, C. R. Klein, The Politics of the National Health Service, Longman, London, 1983 J. Soc. Policy 13, 359–360 (1984).
- Archives, T. N. The National Health Service. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/alevelstudies/nhs.htm?WT.ac=The%20National%20Health%20Service.
- CanMEDS Role: Professional : The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/canmeds/framework/canmeds-role-professional-e
- Donaldson, L. J. Professional accountability in a changing world. Postgrad. Med. J. 77, 65–67 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1136/pmj.77.904.65
- Baillie, L. & Matiti, M. Dignity, equality and diversity: an exploration of how discriminatory behaviour of healthcare workers affects patient dignity. Divers. Equal. Health Care 10, (2013). https://diversityhealthcare.imedpub.com/abstract/dignity-equality-and-diversity-an-exploration-of-how-discriminatory-behaviour-of-healthcare-workers-affects-patient-dignity-1724.html
- The Bias of ‘Professionalism’ Standards (SSIR). https://ssir.org/articles/entry/the_bias_of_professionalism_standards.
- Powers, B. W., White, A. A., Oriol, N. E. & Jain, S. H. Race-Conscious Professionalism and African American Representation in Academic Medicine. Acad. Med. 91, 913–915 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001074
- Weaver, M. What you need to know about the junior doctors’ strike. The Guardian (2016). https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-junior-doctors-strike
- The Bawa-Garba case | The BMJ. https://www.bmj.com/bawa-garba.
- Bamrah, J. S. & Mehta, R. Back to Blame: Sushruta J. Health Policy Opin. 11, 9–12 (2018). https://doi.org/10.38192/11.1.3
- Patel F, Chakravorty I. Millennials - The missing piece in the NHS Workforce puzzle? Sushruta 13, (2020). https://doi.org/10.38192/13.1.7
- Disparities in the risk and outcomes of COVID-19. 92 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/908434/Disparities_in_the_risk_and_outcomes_of_COVID_August_2020_update.pdf.
- Chakravorty, I. et al. An Online Survey of Healthcare Professionals in the COVID-19 Pandemic in the UK: : SUSHRUTA J. Health Policy Opin. 13, (2020). https://doi.org/10.38192/13.2.9
- Wyatt, T. R. et al. ‘Whispers and shadows’: A critical review of the professional identity literature with respect to minority physicians. Med. Educ. 55, 148–158 (2021).
- fair-to-refer-report_pdf-79011677.pdf. https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/fair-to-refer-report_pdf-79011677.pdf
- NHS England » Evaluation of the NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES). https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/evaluation-of-the-nhs-workforce-race-equality-standard-wres/.
- Participation, E. Equality Act 2010. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents
- Unwin, E., Woolf, K., Wadlow, C. & Dacre, J. Disciplined doctors: Does the sex of a doctor matter? A cross-sectional study examining the association between a doctor’s sex and receiving sanctions against their medical registration. BMJ Open 4, e005405 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005405
- Disciplinary action against physicians: Who is likely to get disciplined? - The American Journal of Medicine. https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(05)00150-6/fulltext
- The state of medical education and practice in the UK. https://www.gmc-uk.org/about/what-we-do-and-why/data-and-research/the-state-of-medical-education-and-practice-in-the-uk
- Woolf, K., Rich, A., Viney, R., Needleman, S. & Griffin, A. Perceived causes of differential attainment in UK postgraduate medical training: a national qualitative study. BMJ Open 6, e013429 (2016)
- Slowther, A., Lewando Hundt, G. A., Purkis, J. & Taylor, R. Experiences of non-UK-qualified doctors working within the UK regulatory framework: a qualitative study. J. R. Soc. Med. 105, 157–165 (2012).
- Majid, A. What lies beneath: getting under the skin of GMC referrals. BMJ 368, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m338
- Wise, J. Poor induction and lack of honest feedback is blamed for higher rate of GMC referrals among BAME doctors. BMJ 365, l4391 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l4391
- Humphrey, C., Hickman, S. & Gulliford, M. C. Place of medical qualification and outcomes of UK General Medical Council “fitness to practise” process: cohort study. BMJ 342, d1817 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d1817
- Rimmer, A. Ethnic minority and non-UK doctors don’t think GMC treats all doctors fairly, survey finds. BMJ 348, g3716 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g3716
- Fitness to Practise: Review of Serious Misconduct. https://www.gdc-uk.org/docs/default-source/research/20170409seriousness-review-final-report.pdf?sfvrsn=d34194fc_2
- Review of decision making in our fitness to practise procedures. https://www.gmc-uk.org/about/what-we-do-and-why/data-and-research/research-and-insight-archive/review-of-decision-making-in-our-fitness-to-practise-procedures
- Godlee, F. The GMC, racism, and complaints against doctors. BMJ 312, 1314–1315 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.312.7042.1314
- Figure 4 - HE student enrolments by personal characteristics 2013/14 to 2017/18 | HESA. https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb252/figure-4.
- Differential attainment in medical education and training | The BMJ. https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m339.
- Kmietowicz, Z. Are medical schools turning a blind eye to racism? BMJ 368, m420 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m420
- McManus, I. C., Richards, P., Winder, B. C., Sproston, K. A. & Styles, V. Medical school applicants from ethnic minority groups: identifying if and when they are disadvantaged. BMJ 310, 496–500 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.310.6978.496
- McManus, I. C., Esmail, A. & Demetriou, M. Factors affecting likelihood of applicants being offered a place in medical schools in the United Kingdom in 1996 and 1997: retrospective study Commentary: League tables will help Commentary: Some legal aspects arising from the study. BMJ 317, 1111–1117 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.317.7166.1111
- Linton, S. Taking the difference out of attainment. BMJ 368, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m438
- Tackling racial harassment: universities challenged | Equality and Human Rights Commission. https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/tackling-racial-harassment-universities-challenged.
- Dyson, M. Caring, supportive, collaborative: a future vision for the NHS. The British Medical Association is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK. https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/nhs-delivery-and-workforce/the-future/caring-supportive-collaborative-a-future-vision-for-the-nhs
- Racial harassment charter for medical schools. The British Medical Association is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK. https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/discrimination-and-harassment/racial-harassment-in-medical-schools/racial-harassment-charter-for-medical-schools
- What is revalidation? https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/managing-your-registration/revalidation/introduction-to-revalidation
- GMC. Publication and Disclosure Policy. 27. https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/DC4380_Publication_and_disclosure_policy_36609763.pdf
- How do we check doctors are giving good care? https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/managing-your-registration/revalidation/how-do-we-check-doctors-are-giving-good-care.
- Re: Whistleblower was unfairly dismissed in case lasting 12 years, tribunal rules. g2881 (2021). https://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2881/rr/695954
- Markwell, A. L. & Wainer, Z. The health and wellbeing of junior doctors: insights from a national survey. Med. J. Aust. 191, 441–444 (2009). https://doi.org/10.5694/j.1326-5377.2009.tb02880.x
- Gerada, C. Doctors and suicide. Br. J. Gen. Pract. 68, 168–169 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp18X695345
- Suicide in doctors and other health professionals. https://www.practitionerhealth.nhs.uk/suicide-in-doctors-and-other-health-prof.
- Sarafis, P. et al. The impact of occupational stress on nurses’ caring behaviors and their health related quality of life. BMC Nurs. 15, 56 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-016-0178-y
- Tawfik, D. S. et al. Physician Burnout, Well-being, and Work Unit Safety Grades in Relationship to Reported Medical Errors. Mayo Clin. Proc. 93, 1571–1580 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.05.014
- Bhugra, D. et al. A descriptive study of mental health and wellbeing of doctors and medical students in the UK. Int. Rev. Psychiatry 31, 563–568 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1080/09540261.2019.1648621
- Howe, A. Doctors’ health and wellbeing. BMJ 347, f5558 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5558
- New indicators will track doctors’ careers to expose racism | The BMJ. https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3659.