Main Article Content
The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the devastating impact of inequalities that have plagued societies for generations. The timing of the events spiraling from the unlawful killing of an apparently innocent black man in the United States of America led to an uprising of sorts across many countries. It touched the psyche of the people in the UK and came at a time when the British Association of Physicians of Indian origin reaches its 25th anniversary (1996-2021). One of the fundamental visions and values that the organisation was created on, was to promote excellence through equality and diversity. Therefore in its silver jubilee year, BAPIO launches an over-arching Alliance for Equality in Healthcare Professions. The Alliance is tasked to conduct a review of the evidence of differential attainment across the spectrum of healthcare careers, engage with stakeholders from the grassroots to the responsible organisations and finally generate an expert consensus on recommendations for the changes necessary to tackle such inequalities.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Black Lives Matter. In: Wikipedia [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Black_Lives_Matter&oldid=971334380
3. WHO | 10 facts on health inequities and their causes [Internet]. WHO. World Health Organization; [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/health_inequities/en/
4. The NHS is 72 this year, covid-19 has taught us some tough lessons [Internet]. The BMJ. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/07/31/the-nhs-is-72-this-year-covid-19-has-taught-us-some-tough-lessons/
5. BAPIO sends letter to NHS employers regarding COVID-19: Disproportionate high mortality rates in BAME health and social care (HSCW) workers [Internet]. BAPIO Training Academy (BTA). 2020 [cited 2020 May 24]. Available from: https://www.bapiotrainingacademy.com/bapio-sends-letter-to-nhs-employers-regarding-covid-19-disproportionate-high-mortality-rates-in-bame-health-and-social-care-hscw-workers/
6. NHS England » NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard [Internet]. [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/about/equality/equality-hub/equality-standard/
7. Impatient for change: Prerana Issar on leadership and the NHS workforce [Internet]. The King’s Fund. [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/audio-video/podcast/prerana-issar-leadership-nhs-workforce
8. Linton S. Taking the difference out of attainment. BMJ [Internet]. 2020 Feb 12 [cited 2020 Jul 8];368. Available from: https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m438
9. British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. In: Wikipedia [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=British_Association_of_Physicians_of_Indian_Origin&oldid=954594994
10. Kaffash J. RCGP vows to take action on MRCGP failure rates after High Court ruling [Internet]. Pulse Today. [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gp-topics/education/rcgp-vows-to-take-action-on-mrcgp-failure-rates-after-high-court-ruling/20006403.article
11. Data & research [Internet]. [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/standards-guidance-and-curricula/projects/differential-attainment/data-and-research
12. Woolf K. Fair Training Pathways for All: Understanding Experiences of Progression - Final Report. :69.
13. Rimmer A. RCP is to highlight gap in performance between overseas doctors and UK graduates. BMJ [Internet]. 2014 Dec 2 [cited 2020 Aug 6];349. Available from: https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7441
14. Racism, health and why we must do more [Internet]. RCP London. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 6]. Available from: https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/racism-health-and-why-we-must-do-more