- remote consultation,
- video consultation,
- NHS Long term plan,
- Triage First
How to Cite
Hussain, A., Shah, S., Dave, S., Ramkisson, R., & Quadri, M. F. A. . (2020). Remote Consultations: The New Norm. Sushruta Journal of Health Policy & Opinion, 13(2). https://doi.org/10.38192/13.2.11
COVID-19 pandemic has presented with unique challenges and opportunities for healthcare services globally. Remote consultation has played an integral part to allow the healthcare systems to function and at the same time to adhere to the restrictions to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2. Regulators, organisations, clinicians and patients have all adapted and adjusted to the widespread use of remote consultations across specialities and healthcare settings. In this article, we discuss the advantages and limitations of remote consultation in the NHS and its consideration in day-to-day clinical practice.
- NHS England and NHS Improvement Clinical guide for the management of remote consultations and remote working in secondary care during the coronavirus pandemic 27 March 2020 Version 1 https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wpcontent/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/C0044-Specialty-Guide-Virtual-Working-and-Coronavirus-27-March-20.pdf
- NHS England and NHS Improvement Advice on how to establish a remote ‘total triage’ model in general practice using online consultations April 2020 Version 2 https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wpcontent/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/C0098-Total-triage-blueprint-April-2020-v2.pdf
- England NH, Improvement NH. The NHS long term plan: Chapter 4 Digitally-enabled care will go mainstream across the NHS. 2019. https://www.longtermplan.nhs.uk/online-version/chapter-1-a-new-service-model-for-the-21st-century/4-digitally-enabled-primary-and-outpatient-care-will-go-mainstream-across-the-nhs/
- World Health Organization. WHO guideline: recommendations on digital interventions for health system strengthening: web supplement 2: summary of findings and GRADE tables. World Health Organization; 2019. https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/digital-interventions-health-system-strengthening/en/
- The MDU. Conducting remote consultation. 2020 https://www.themdu.com/guidance-and-advice/guides/conducting-remote-consultations
- NHSX COVID-19 information governance advice for staff working in health and care organisations. 2020. https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/data-and-information-governance/information-governance/covid-19-information-governance-advice-health-and-care-professionals/
- Walker RC, Tong A, Howard K, Palmer SC. Patient expectations and experiences of remote monitoring for chronic diseases: Systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies. International journal of medical informatics. 2019 Apr 1;124:78-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2019.01.013
- Atherton H, Brant H, Ziebland S, Bikker A, Campbell J, Gibson A, McKinstry B, Porqueddu T, Salisbury C. Alternatives to the face-to-face consultation in general practice: focused ethnographic case study. Br J Gen Pract. 2018 Apr 1;68(669):e293-300.
- Donaghy E, Atherton H, Hammersley V, McNeilly H, Bikker A, Robbins L, Campbell J, McKinstry B. Acceptability, benefits, and challenges of video consulting: a qualitative study in primary care. British Journal of General Practice. 2019 Sep 1;69(686):e586-94.
- Donaghy E, Hammersley V, Atherton H, Bikker A, Mcneilly H, Campbell J, McKinstry B. Feasibility, acceptability, and content of video consulting in primary care. British Journal of General Practice. 2019 Jun 1;69(suppl 1):bjgp19X702941.
- Stamoulos C, Trepanier L, Bourkas S, Bradley S, Stelmaszczyk K, Schwartzman D, Drapeau M. Psychologists’ perceptions of the importance of common factors in psychotherapy for successful treatment outcomes. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration. 2016 Sep;26(3):300.
- Kornhaber R, Walsh K, Duff J, Walker K. Enhancing adult therapeutic interpersonal relationships in the acute health care setting: An integrative review. Journal of multidisciplinary healthcare. 2016;9:537.
- Linn-Walton R, Pardasani M. Dislikable clients or countertransference: A clinician's perspective. The Clinical Supervisor. 2014 May 15;33(1):100-21.
- Holmner Å, Ebi KL, Lazuardi L, Nilsson M. Carbon footprint of telemedicine solutions-unexplored opportunity for reducing carbon emissions in the health sector. PLoS One. 2014;9(9).
- Greenhalgh T, Vijayaraghavan S, Wherton J, Shaw S, Byrne E, Campbell-Richards D, Bhattacharya S, Hanson P, Ramoutar S, Gutteridge C, Hodkinson I. Virtual online consultations: advantages and limitations (VOCAL) study. BMJ open. 2016 Jan 1;6(1):e009388
- MDDUS. Resource library: risk alerts, Inherent risks in remote consulting. 2018. https://www.mddus.com/resources/resource-library/risk-alerts/2018/may/inherent-risks-in-remote-consulting