Main Article Content
New guidance from NHS Improvement will help to focus minds on establishing an NHS that regards people management procedures which impact staff wellbeing with the same urgency as it regards patient safety. I outline a culture that values and promotes Fairness, Accountability, Compassion, and Excellence (‘FACE’). I also offer some advice for doctors in difficulty.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Verhoef L, Weenink J-W, Winters S, Robben P, Wester G, Kool R. The disciplined healthcare professional: a qualitative interview study on the impact of the disciplinary process and imposed measures in the Netherlands. BMJ Open 2015;7:e009275.
3. Health Education England. (2019). NHS Staff and Learners’ Mental Wellbeing Commission. Health Education England.
4. Dyer C. Hospital doctors face unfair disciplinary procedures, says defence organization. BMJ 2018;doi:1136/ bmj.k1571.
5. Bourne T, De Cock B, Wynants L, Peters M, Audenhove C, Timmerman D, et al. Doctors’ perception of support and the processes involved in complaints investigations and how these relate to welfare and defensive practice: a cross- sectional survey of UK physicians. BMJ Open 2017;7:1-11.
6. Iacobucci G. Hunt lures doctors into management roles with promise of training at Yale. BMJ 2016;355:1.
7. Rimmer A. Hancock: support doctors to become senior managers and chief executives. BMJ 2018;363:1.
8. Mannion R, Davies H, Powell M, Blenkinsopp J, Millar R, McHale J, et al. Healthcare scandals and the failings of doctors. Journal of Health Organization and Management 2019;33:221-40.
9. Kapur N. Psychologists in leader-ship roles: Ensuring excellence and accountability in people management. The Psychologist, 2019.
10. Kapur N. Professional bodies should provide accreditation of healthcare services to improve patient safety. BMJ, 2015;351:h4420.
11. Riskin A, Bamberger P, Erez A, Foulk T, Cooper B, Peterfreund I, et al. Incivil- ity and patient safety: A longitudinal study of rudeness, protocol compli- ance, and adverse events. Jt Comm J Qual and Patient Saf 2019;45:358-67.
12. Dixon-Woods M, Baker R, Charles K, Dawson J, Jerzembek G, Martin G, et al. Culture and behavior in the English National Health Service: overview of lessons from a large multimethod study. BMJ Qual Saf 2014;23:106-115.