Main Article Content
This article describes the battle with air pollution in two large cities, London and Delhi. Air pollution is a major cause of morbidity and mortality across the globe, particularly affecting those in large, urban environments. Action has been take to reduce pollution levels and some improvement have been seen, but not to a significant enough degree. We as healthcare professionals have a responsibility to advocate for greater change to be made.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. Wharton, Jane. Metro.co.uk. [internet] [updated 5/12/2019 cited 29/03/2020. Available: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/05/breathing-air-london-like-smoking-160-cigarettes-11276899/.
2. World Health Organization, who.int, [internet], [updated 2//5/2018, cited 29/3/2020] Available: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ambient-(outdoor)-air-quality-and-health.
3. London Councils, londoncouncil.gov.uk, [internet], [updated 1/2020, cited 29/3/2020] Available: https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Policy%20themes/Environment/Demystifying%20air%20pollution%20in%20London%20FINAL%20FULL%20REPORT_IM_0.pdf#page=15
4. Met Office, metoffice.gov.uk, [internet], [updated 20/4/2015, cited 29/03/2020] Available: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/case-studies/great-smog.
5. Mittal, Louise. Baker, Timothy. London Air Quality Summary Report 2018. [internet]. King’s College London. [updated 10/2020, cited 29/3/2020]. Available: http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/reports/2018_LAQN_report.pdf.
6. Walton, Heather. Dajnak, David. Beevers, Sean. Williams, Martin. Watkiss, Paul. Hunt, Alistair. London.gov.uk. [internet]. King’s College London. [updated 14/07/2016, cited 29/03/2020]. Available: https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/hiainlondon_kingsreport_14072015_final.pdf.
7. Greater London Authority. London.gov.uk. [internet]. [updated 4/2020., cited 29/03/2020]. Available: https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/green_infrastruture_air_pollution_may_19.pdf.
8. India environmental portal. Indiaenvironmentalportal.org.uk. [internet]. [cited 29/03/2020] Available: http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/439810/increasing-deaths-due-to-air-pollution-in-delhi-and-mumbai/
9. Sunita Narain, Anumita Roychowdhury. Towards a Clean Air Action Plan, Lessons from Delhi. Centre For Science and Environment. New Delhi. Centre For Science and Environment. [updated 2016, cited 29/03/2020].
10. Najar, Nida. Barry, Ellen. Nytimes.com. [internet]. New York Times. [updated 25/1/2016, cited 29/03/2020]. Available: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/world/asia/india-delhi-fireworks-air-pollution.html
11. Ministry of Environment. Indiaenvironmentalportal.org. [internet]. Centre for Science and Environment. [updated 08/10/2018, cited 29/03/2020]. Available: http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Comprehensive%20Action%20Plan.pdf.
12. Goswami, Sweta. Hindustantimes.com. [internet]. Hindustan Times. [updated 5/10/2018, cited 29/03.2020]. Available: https://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi-news/badarpur-thermal-plant-delhi-s-biggest-power-generator-to-shut-down-from-october-15/story-6r1DhoDjb7G0yr48iv8IqI.html
13. Central Pollution Control Board. Annual Report 2017-18. [internet]. Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. [updated 2018, cited 29/03/2020]. Available: https://cpcb.nic.in/openpdffile.php?id=UmVwb3J0RmlsZXMvOTIyXzE1NjQwMzg5OTFfbWVkaWFwaG90bzE0Mjg2LnBkZg==
14. Mansoor, Sanya. Air Pollution Turned India's Capital Into a 'Climate Emergency.' It's Part of a Global Trend Killing 7 Million Prematurely Each Year. [internet] Time. [updated 6/11/2019, cited 29/03/2020]. Available: https://time.com/5718012/new-delhi-pollution-2019/